Payouts at Online Casinos and How Payout Percentages Work

Learn about payout percentages (RTP% - Return to Player percentages) paid out by online casinos and how these work

The payout rates at today’s fully licensed online casinos are generally higher than the payout rates that you can expect find at any land based casino and this reason alone should make you want to visit an online casino right now. For example that payout rates at most of our featured Australian online casinos generally never drops below 92.00% and it can usually reach as high as 98.00%, in some cases more than 100.00%.

The payout rate at online casinos is calculated by trusted independent auditors and the information is generally released on a monthly basis. This basically tells us how much the casino has paid back in winnings over X amount of time and it’s based on the total amount of cash that has been wagered by the registered members of that particular casino. eCOGRA (eCommerce Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance) and TST (Technical Systems Testing) are just two internationally accredited online casino testing agencies that calculate the payout reports at online casinos.

Key facts about online casino payout percentages

  • Many of our top-rated Aussie online casinos have an average payout rate of 92.00% to 98.00%+.
  • These high payout rates are calculated by internationally accredited online casino testing agencies.
  • All games are frequently tested millions of times by these independent auditors to reveal the average payout rates.
  • Online casinos have much higher payout rates than land based casinos.
  • The latest payout percentage reports are generally released on a monthly basis.
  • Players can easily find the latest payout information for themselves when visiting any of our featured online casinos.
  • Keep an eye out for the eCOGRA ‘Safe & Fair’ seal of approval at our trusted online casinos.

June 2019 best online casinos

Casino Bonus Rating Visit
See More

More info about how payout percentages at online casinos work

Some players will only ever visit online casinos with higher average payout percentage rates than other casinos, which is great, but it doesn’t always guarantee that you are more likely to win. Don’t forget that this is an average amount which is usually based on millions of dollars being wagered by millions of players over a one month period. You also need to be aware that the average return to play percentage payout rates (RTP % rates) can also vary a great deal from one month to the next and that the payout rates are calculated for individual games, for game categories and also for all games combined.

We can take a quick look at an example of how this might work. Let’s just say that the players wagered a total of AU$2,000,000.00 on the pokies and that, on average, these same players receive a total of AU$1,945,000 back as winnings. This means that the online pokies at this casino have an average RTP % rate of 97.25%. The remaining AU$55,000 (or 2.75%) would be kept by the casino as profit. The next month these same players may wager the same amount of cash on the same games, but may only receive AU$1,869,200 in winnings. This means that this month the pokies have an average 93.46% payout rate and that the casino ended up with AU$130,800 profit.

This sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is and all you need to know is that all of our casinos have really high payout rates and they often rank among the best paying online casinos in the world. As mentioned, occasionally this figure may drop below 93.00%, but it can also climb to more than 100.00%. It isn’t unusual for some individual games/game categories to have an average 102.00% to 105.00 payout rate. Independent online casino testing agencies such as eCOGRA and TST use their systems to play millions of spins on a pokie or hundreds of thousands of hands of blackjack to calculate the payout rates and so this result is therefore fairly accurate.

These non-profit organisations have been keeping players safe for more than a decade now and where ever you see the TST or eCOGRA logos you can guarantee that the games are constantly monitored and tested and that the payout rates have not been tampered with in any way. We never recommend playing at online casinos that have a really low payout rate and we also advise you to be weary of an online casino that constantly says that its average payout rate is more than 100.00%. If this was true month after month, the casino would end up going out of business.

The Random Number Generators (RNGs) that produce the results on the games that you play on are controlled by advanced mathematical algorithm programs which are designed to consistently produce random outcomes. Although the outcomes are produced in this way, they are about as fair and realistic as they can possibly be.